About Wilmot Responds
refugee resettlement projects in Wilmot Township
Wilmot Responds is a community effort to raise funds, coordinate donations and offer support to private groups who are sponsoring refugee families in Wilmot and the surrounding areas. It is an informal partnership between local churches, communities and individuals.
Our aim is to help settle newly-arrived refugees in our community by offering practical assistance and a warm welcome.
Wilmot Responds provides those who are involved in helping with a forum for sharing experience, skills and advice in areas that include, but are not exclusive to:
- Housing: renting, furnishings, equipping an apartment.
- Providing initial food/clothing.
- Education: enrollment of children in schools, ESL classes.
- Medical: doctor, dentist, OHIP, other required government documents.
- Financial: setting up banking, insurance, budgeting.
- Social/cultural: linking to community activities, cultural and other events.
- Employment: Job search, resume, etc..
- Shopping: regular grocery shopping, other.
- Immigration: forms, meetings with government officials.
- Transportation: orientation to public transit, driving to appointments, etc.
- Friendship: nurturing social networks with people of similar interests, being a friend.